Saturday, August 18, 2018

Little Women 2017 [BBC]

Dramatization of Louisa May Alcott's novel about the lives of the four March sisters during the American Civil War as they learn to navigate love, loss and the trials of growing up. Again?




I was very impressed by this new dramatization the very first time I heard about it. I fell in love with Little Women 1949 more than 10 years ago and it’s that kind of movie that you see once in a year top. I was pleased with my Jo (June Allyson), a character I’ve always loved because of her personality, her strength, her determination and her passion about writing. I loved that way from June Allyson inside Jo March, every time that Jo was acting it was like a boost to everyone, it’s like she was the engine of everything. I was very worried about that new adaptation and happy at the same time because it would be a mini-series which increase its hours of filming and that is always good because I could watch more scenes from the book.  It’d wonderful as I’d watch more about the real story since my favourite adaptation from 1949 was strongly reduced and I was worried even when I knew BBC would make a very well adaptation because I know how they work with classical books but I didn’t want the new one to eclipse the old one I loved. I’m afraid it did. Not forever, but yes. 

I started off watching it one cold evening excited, stirred up and making dreams to the new Little Women that it was turning up in front of me. It was a very sweet and touching trip. I’m pretty sure that I’m repeating it soon.

Things I loved.

I loved watching that real treat among sisters, what would be along the lines of Alcott. Watching the love simmered was so sweet among the couples.
 A concerned mother looking after her daughters and her worries, always, without forgetting her own worries and concealing them from her family.
The music sounded so nice and soft. There wasn’t any lyric from that music but you almost could hear any of the girls humming it.
The scenes were so British even when this book is from America, as for me, they remind me a lot of other mini-series from BBC but it's not a problem for me, I love that kind of recording from BBC.
I loved each one of the girls. I loved Jo March here, too. I loved how Maya developed the character of Jo March, yes, I have no doubts about it.
I loved watching more parts about this beautiful story, I mean, more real parts from the book, I loved watching for once the character of Amy being the youngest, not Beth.
I loved watching the saddest and the happiest moment in the book out in the adaptation because the 1949 version was going very fast telling the story. That significant moment with Beth… It couldn’t be more perfect and heartwrenching.
I loved those minutes passing by in front of me between the two books, that succession of images telling us how John goes and is in the war, how the girls are growing up a little bit more, how the time passes by for everyone. Speechless. 


Things I didn’t love.

It was so short…  
I loved it too much although I didn’t replace my old Little Women (1949) Let’s call it stubbornness or maybe I’m very fond of that old version.


Be that as it may, I recommend it truly and strongly this dramatization just whether you like Little Women. Whether you like the book or other adaptations. Take a chance and tell me later.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...