Thursday, February 6, 2020

The moving finger {Book}




It wasn’t a secret that the book I was going to read was about Miss Marple. What surprised me, a lot I dare say, it that this Miss Marple wasn’t the female main character. Not at all! No whatsoever. As a matter of fact, Miss, dear, Marple is almost at the end of the story and that made me ask myself ‘what on earth is going on with Agatha? Really? At the end of her story? What for?’ Well… I think it’s a bummer because Miss Marple is in there just to jump to conclusions, secretively of course, and then tell us what was going on with the murder. But the burden of the investigation was on other shoulders!




I was waiting, and waiting, thinking… ‘Ok, it’s ok, the books I’ve read recently of Agatha, it seems normal that Poirot is written just when you’ve read half of the story. More precisely, when the body appears.’ It is not fair! I wanted to read the story through Miss Marple and what did I get? I’ve got a beautiful and interesting story, just the same, but almost without the more interesting character, like Hercule Poirot... I recommend you to read the book without waiting for her. You will enjoy it much more.

Well, it can’t be helped, though. The story was written 78 years ago and Agatha passed away so… I can’t complain, can I? So, I much better enjoyed the story, anyway, if she'd been there for a longer time.

Once more I couldn’t catch the murder, I don’t know how people can do that, but lucky me I always get the surprise. Throughout the pages I was considering a few people; I discharge them lately and think of others but it always surprises me and I node to myself grinning… So satisfying. Not because I knew who the bad guy was but because it gets me anew. That’s the best part of reading, the surprises.

But! Less complains and more write about the story. Let’s get started!

After the accident, Mr. Burton and her sister Joanna, obediently to the doctor, rent a house in the county hoping to have a quiet recover, but anonymous letter appear incriminating every one and raising suspicion. Fear soaks every neighbour when one of those letters cause death.




Spoilers

I must confess I loved this story from the cover to cover (even if a certain person wasn’t there all the time… ¬.¬ ) As the pages go by, I was feeling that hook, that feeling of dreaming. I knew that this story was going to get a place in my heart. It reminds me, just a bit, of “The man in the brown suit” I wanted what I was going to feel, that Mr. Burton falls in love with Megan and that is what I’ve got.  I was very excited about it! A sweet romance in the middle of the two murderers. Mr. Burton needed Megan, just he didn’t know it yet, his sister knew better.

It really scared me to think about the possibility of getting Megan mixed with the bud guy or worse than that! That Megan could be the “bad guy” I didn’t want that for the whole world! I wanted a romance between these two. I knew that Mr. Burton needed it, needed her (even when his sister talks about it as he would have a dog…) Megan is so adorable and sometimes it doesn’t seem to have that age, but she feels that abandoned that, surely, she felt so comfortable with Mr. Burton and didn’t know, either.

Two bodies appear and Miss Marple didn’t appear yet, so I recommend you to read the book without waiting for her. It’s great the whole story, the mystery, how Mr. Burton presents us the entire neighbourhood. We meet the peculiar things about Mr. Pye or Mrs. Dane Calthrops but talking about Aimée Griffith is a mystery herself. That happiness and energy all the time… I knew that the murder wasn’t her as the police catch her but what I didn’t know was the secret she was hidden all the time.

End Spoilers 





After all, I’m so happy to have read this book. I couldn’t put it down. Agatha Christie’s books have that effect on mine. Everyone has a roll in here and you must be aware of all of them to make your own conclusions. The mystery is big, the fear is bigger and the unknowns are greatest. The characters are so different from one to another but be careful… appearances can deceive.









 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This books seems to be very interesting! I'm sure I would love it. What you have written about the book is very mysterious and attractive.

    It's fascinating how Agatha could write dozens and dozens of books and she always surprised the readers and brought new stories. I'm amazed about her writing skills.

    It's a pity she left the detective characters to the end of the books. Maybe she was a little tired of them... or maybe, as a writer, she wanted to explore other characters, psychology and stories, and not to be centered in the detectives. Anyway, I understand you, because the detectives are so fascinating that you never get enough of them :-).

    I never get the murderer right either! She always surprises me. I think it's not easy to know the murderer for sure before the book ends. For me it's always a hard task. But I love it, because I can be surprised again and again, like you :-) Great article! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad, MysteriousGentleman to find another one to like reading Agatha Christie hoping to being surprised!

      It's fantastic that you can enjoy it as much as me. I didn't think about what you said of getting more interesting in telling us about other characters first. Well, in any case, I was hoping to finding Miss Marple in there sooner. But, it's ok now.

      Thank you very much for your passing by.

      I hope to seeing to soon!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...