Friday, April 20, 2018

Hercules Poirot's Christmas (1938)

I get a bit of boring when Agatha’s books start without Poirot at the beginning, just because I’m so excited about meeting him I have to wait. When I take a book of Agatha and I know that Poirot is not in there I don’t care and keep on my lecture, but when I know he’s in there I want to start my reading with him, so this is not the case.  

Well, I should have read this book on Christmas, but I had another book between hands and I couldn’t.  Now is my time, Christmas or not here I am for writing my opinion. I’d like to write here all Agatha’s books but I prefer to choose those which touched me and Hercules Poirot’s Christmas was one of them. 













Simeon Lee made his mind up about what to do with his lonely Christmas hence Simeon Lee writes to all of his children in other to come to him and celebrate Christmas together like a family. But it won’t a happy reunion and not everyone gets along with everyone and on Christmas Eve, someone won't wake up because of the cut in his/her throat. 


In the beginning, Agatha takes time to tell us how is the family Lee is with all of his members, one by one before catching Poirot. Through her fast writing way, we’ll see the problems and what they think about their father or father-in-law and between them. Through these thoughts, we will see the different motives to murder.  

Hercule Poirot is with Colonel Johnson, Chief constable when he knew about the murder and Poirot himself was invited by Johnson for coming to the big house and helps with the inquest beside Superintendent Sugden. Therefore, Poirot will help and jump into his deductions, you know Poirot has his methods and he prefers to talk with the suspects more than those interrogations as he thinks people get trust keeping a pacific and relaxed conversation and there’re high possibilities to catch a lie from them. And, of course, the first persons in getting in touch are women and that is exactly what happened. Afterwards, he’s the detective. It seems that no matter what and come what may things turn up on Poirot’s way and it’s always for a good reason. 

This book has a very brutal murder, too much blood everywhere, the murderer was cruel and vicious and everything seems wrong. Thank God we have Poirot and his grey cells that never fail us (although I missed Captain Hastings with him)
I found out too many surprises and it was the spectacular final chapter that makes me write about this book. It wasn’t just I couldn’t know who the murderer was that it did but I didn’t think I would learn more surprises afterwards.  When I didn’t think it would have more things for finding out I couldn’t stop myself saying “Oh!” and “Oh!” again.

I’m very grateful to myself for being not able to guess who is the murderer in question until I got the name on the paper, in that case, I get always catch my breath and wait for the unexpected. Otherwise, I don’t think I could enjoy these books as I do. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...