Sunday, April 21, 2019

The secret of Pembrooke Park [Julie Klassen]


After reading about other big houses like Pemberley, Edenbrooke, Mansfield Park or Pemberton Hurst, I thought that Pembrooke Park could grow on me, as well.

It’s the second Christian romance book I’ve read and I wasn’t so sure if it would like me because of the first one. I don’t like it that much and it wasn’t what I was expecting.

After watching some reviews without any spoiler, I encourage myself taking the risk and I decided to start this one. Wow… I wish I started with this one the first time because I couldn’t put it down. I got hooked on this book since the first page and I finally finished so sadly for I didn’t find more pages to read. I wanted more…



Abigail Foster, the practical and plain daughter, has to sell her house and move on with her parents and her little sister because of very serious financial problems. A strange solicitor came with an offer: the use of the manor house abandoned for eighteen years. Abigail will have to dig up some secrets because Pembrooke Park hides more than one secret. She will be acquainted with the neighbours, the handsome local curate and his family and others.

How I enjoyed this book I couldn’t say exactly but I finished it tasting every moment, recalling those wonderful romantic moments. Those kinds of romances which boil slowly within us…  How exciting, I couldn’t enjoy myself more. I felt every flutter of attraction in my stomach beside Abigail Foster, knots which don’t let me swallow… I wasn’t sure about this book but, thank God, I took the plunge and started patiently. I dare say, I don't find books like this every day, yes I enjoy many of them but feeling on the top of the world with the broadest smile on my face, wanting to read again the book... not always. 



Abigail is a very sensible girl, very practical and not feeling very attractive about herself. She was in love with a very good old friend, but when her little sister grew up, everyone saw, include Abigail, how beautiful she was and indeed, that old friend saw it, as well. Since then, Abigail struggles about falling in love with someone else to later feel disappointment when her sister appears on the stage. Almost resigned to be a spinster, Abigail begins to feel her heart pound inside her and yes, much later, her sister will appear and who knows… If only she had an attractive dowry which increases her charming...

But you don’t think everything between these pages is romance, no; this book hides many secrets which will leave you speechless. The mystery here is fantastic; I had a good dose of scary moments. I admit that I'm not the kind of person who likes to read terror books but once I had to put the book down and go to sleep because I was starting to feel scared, so I don't need much to feel scared. The plot is very well done I didn’t get bored any moment and I treasure those romantic moments still in my mind so flesh.

Another thing I love about this story is that Pembrooke Park does really exist. It's called the Great Chalfield Manor in Wiltshire. ¡Oh my gosh! Another reason to fly to England for me and see with my own eyes the manor, the pond, the church, the garden, the stables, the Chapman's family...  After loving this story, I wouldn't mind to visit that place, close my eyes and remember everything I've read.




SPOILER BELOW.





Here ---> William Chapman is everything a hero should be. Handsome, patient, trustworthy, charming, a believer, big biceps and faithful to Abigail all the time. He knew how different the beauty of Louisa and Abigail were and he still chose Abigail for himself. I liked his sermons and how to manage to speak about God so firm. He really cares about the souls of the parish.
The way he looks at her; the way he holds himself when is with Abigail and those spectacular moments they share together. That kiss near the pond so hoped for knowing that neither of them can show their feelings and feel their hearts torn apart later… 

Every time that Miles Pembrooke showed up or he was caught up I thought: "You've got some nerve!" So greedy and a big liar who had what he always wanted, though a very different end in his mind for sure... 


END SPOILER 








This book has everything I ever loved:


A Christian message.
The perfect relationship based on a pure and realist historical romance. (Regency romance, in this case)
 Mystery and suspense.
Yes, I think I nailed it with this book.
Julie mix them together and came up with an unbeliever story. I gather is the longest book she has and it’s the first I read by this author.
When other authours use sex and violence to sell their books, Julie Klassen proves that it isn't necessary to write romance books with those two things for being hooked on it. I can’t wait to read another one by Julie Klassen. 















1 comment:

  1. It sounds very interesting. Books about mansions and secrets are always fascinating :D. I'm very happy for you. As you said, it's easy to find good books, but not to find excellent books. Those are the ones we are going to remember tomorrow and the ones which are going to leave something in us. Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...